Tom Gowin was one of the members of the Southern Young Tribulation Force located in South Carolina and a tribulation martyr. He and his brother Luke became Young Tribulation Force members in book 20, after Vicki Byrne and Carl Meninger arrived to warn them about the Global Community's nefarious intentions to capture the believers in South Carolina. From that point on until the events of book 34, Tom and Luke would keep in touch with the other members of the Young Tribulation Force and keep them updated, even when Carl Meninger joined them after Carl escaped the Global Community. In book 34, however, bounty hunters looking for believers to eliminate found out about the hideout in South Carolina. Tom was captured by two bounty hunters named Max and Albert when they were chasing Tom and Luke. Max and Albert would later catch Judd Thompson Jr. and Lionel Washington, who had arrived there after spending a long time in Israel. Before Max and Albert could turn them into the Global Community, Luke rescued them. After two Global Community operatives, Lee and Brooke McCarty tried to kill Judd, Lionel, Tom, and Luke, the Gowin brothers decided to take the fight to the bounty hunters by burning their houses, but Judd and Lionel objected to their strategy of using violence against them. Luke added that he hoped that the bounty hunters would get the message and stop what they are doing. Unfortunately, the bounty hunters caught them during one of their missions and killed Tom first, then Luke. Tom was the sixth member of The Young Tribulation Force to die.
In book 40, Tom and Luke are resurrected.
- 20. A Dangerous Plan (first appearance)
- 25. Death at the Gala
- 34. Bounty Hunters
- 35. The Rise of False Messiahs (death)
- 40. Triumphant Return (resurrected)
- Tom's first appearance was in book 20.
- Tom's death was in book 35.
- Tom and Luke both joined The Young Tribulation Force in book 20.
- Book 34 was the only book in the entire series that Tom appeared without Luke.
- Tom shares the same first name as Tom Byrne, Vicki's father.
- Tom's leg was injured when he confronted Max and Albert.
- The Rise of False Messiahs was the only book in which Tom's name appeared in the introduction.
- Judd thought Anak's prophecy was referring to Tom.
- Tom, Luke, and Carl were the only members of the Southern Contingent of The Young Tribulation Force in South Carolina.
- Tom was the first Young Tribulation Force member to die that did not personally meet a member of the adult Tribulation Force. The second was Luke.
- Tom, Luke, and John are the three Young Tribulation Force members that are mentioned the least amount of times in the series.
- Tom and Luke are the only siblings to both be members of the Young Tribulation Force.
- Tom was the first member of the Young Tribulation Force in South Carolina to die.
- Tom and Luke are one of two pairs of Young Tribulation Force members to be related. The other pair are Mark Eisman and John Preston, who are cousins.
- In the books, Tom is killed by bounty hunters. In the dramatic audio presentation, Tom survives to the Glorious Appearing.